It should be an exciting weekend here in Portsmouth! The tall ships are in the harbor and ready for viewing. This annual event is a great way for the city of Portsmouth to celebrate its shipping roots. It is also a great excuse to visit the city and enjoy the day along the water. In addition to visiting the tall ships you can enjoy the day shopping and eating at some of Portsmouth’s great restaurants.
The event is hosted by the Piscatqua Maritime Commission (PMC) which is a non-profit group dedicated to the promotion and preservation of the maritime heritage of the Piscataqua River basin. They have hosted the Sail Portsmouth Event for over 20 years. Proceeds from the Sail Portsmouth event go to support sail training scholarships for Portsmouth area students in the Sea Challenge program. According to the PMC the Sea Challenge program offers teens in “need of a course correction” a week of adventure and self discovery on a week long sail.
Here are the event details:
Ship Deck Tours – Friday, July 13 through Sunday, July 15
- Commercial Fishing Pier, Peirce Island, Portsmouth, NH Directions
- Fri, July 13 – 1:00 to 5:30 pm
- Sat, July 14 – 10 am to 5:30 pm
- Sun, July 15 – 10 am to 5:30 pm
- Tickets $9, children under 12 free, family package $25 (two adults and their children under 21)
- Tickets sold at the gate only
Beware – you might even run into a pirate or two!