Attention all architects and architectural aficionados – Architectural Record has just launched their annual Napkin Sketch Contest. Pining for simpler times when the pen was more important than the computer? Don’t despair - get back to basics and sketch your design with a black ball point pen on a simple white cocktail napkin.
The contest is open to both professionals and non-professionals so everyone can get in on the action.
Winner 2011 – Professional
Zeljko Toncic for his drawing of Antonio Gaudi’s Casa Milà, in Barcelona
Winner 2011 – Non Professional
Amanda Prosser, Notre Dame du Haut, Le Corbusier’s famous chapel at Ronchamp, France (1954)
Here are the submission details from Arch Record:
For your cocktail napkin sketch, think about unleashing your creative genius within about 20 minutes.
- Sketches should be architecture-oriented and drawn specifically for this competition.
- Create a sketch on a 5-inch-by-5-inch white paper cocktail napkin.
- Use ink or ballpoint pen.
- Include the registration form below or from the website.
- You may submit up to 6 cocktail napkin sketches, but each one should be numbered on the back and include your name.
- All materials must be postmarked no later than July 15, 2012
If you submit a sketch leave a comment and let us know!
Our sketches might not be on napkins, but the art of the sketch is alive and well at TMS Architects.